Leaving Chicago!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

To my Dad's in Overhetfeld!

Monday morning we took another nice walk in the beautiful gardens of Kiel near Klaus' house. The German's really take pride in their gardens and so if people don't have room at their homes, they rent these garden plots and do their flower gardens, vegetable gardens, fruit trees, etc. there. WOW, there were some really incridible looking gardens there!


Daryl and Klaus with baby Marion
After grocery shopping with Klaus to restock his pantry, we headed down to my Dad's house. It was about 5 1/2 hours on the various Autobahnen . Thanks to a good Google maps printout, we found it with no mistakes. The kids were good travelers again, though it does frustrate me when their various electronic devices are so much more important and interesting than the beautiful scenery we are passing by! Tween boys, I guess!

We arrived here in time for a late supper at the Dalmacia Grill,. one of our favorite family restaurants while I was growing up, owned by a Yugoslavian couple, whose son was a classmate of my brother David's. He was actually there working (taking over the family business I guess), so it was nice to introduce him to my US family! He said I had not changed at all since high school, so I was flattered! After stuffing ourselves with great food (lots of meat!), of course we had to stop in Brueggen for an ice cream cone. Again, a favorite childhood memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment